Expedition Eight: Polestar
Last week, we released our 20th major free update for No Man’s Sky, ENDURANCE. When we first added freighters to the game back in the FOUNDATION update, we could never have imagined we’d be here, reimagining them, six years later – we had no idea what was ahead of us!
We’ve loved watching folks assembling their fleets of organic frigates, and it has been tremendous to see the base building community’s imaginings coming to life with the new freighter building capabilities – constructing huge botanical chambers, medical bays, engine rooms, and even expansive cities on their freighter’s exterior!
Today, we are launching the game’s eighth community expedition: Polestar. Embark on an interstellar cruise as the captain of a heavy shipping freighter, warping your metal fortress across the galaxy.
During the voyage, Travellers will repair the freighter’s bespoke technology, and uncover the mysterious circumstances that led to its current predicament…
After completing all the required expedition milestones, you may now end the expedition early and convert your progress to a Normal Mode save. As with previous expeditions, when Polestar concludes, this save conversion will happen automatically.
Polestar’s limited edition rewards can be redeemed across all save games from the Space Anomaly’s Quicksilver Synthesis Companion.
The Polestar expedition begins today, and will run for approximately six weeks.
Polestar Expedition Rewards
Pilgrim, Polestar, and Heavy Shipping Posters
Decorate freighter and planetary bases alike with these three commemorative posters – dedicated to all spacefarers, navigators, explorers and freighter crew.
High-Gravity Freighter Trail
Customise your capital ship with this limited edition freighter trail. High-energy exhaust gases rapid condense as they exit the freighter’s colossal engines, collapsing into micro-singularities.
Outlaw Building Decorations
Add a case of navigation charts, an arrangement of technical data, or a rustic light source to your bases with the Navigation Archive, Data Display Unit, and Flaming Barrel.
Fleet Commander’s Cape
Assume the role of captain and voyager of the stars with this imposing cloak.
Child of Helios Companion
Claim the Child of Helios egg, and invite this beautiful, spectral creature to haunt your journey through the universe.
@Art_Man_Oil and u/myrealityde drew these lovely pixel art depictions of the Atlas, in contrasting styles!
u/jzr0x has been making a number of laser engraved wood pieces – this one is especially detailed and beautiful!
u/NoProtection6220 created this stunning image of an exotic starship sinking into the ocean depths.
This atmospheric, in-game photography was taken by u/Both_Elephant_9735, u/GerogBlanc, @wesley_shark and @benneburg.
The Quicksilver Synthesis Companion continues to tirelessly craft new exotic collectables, unlocked by Travellers completing Nexus missions – including the new Sentinel Pillar and Infestation combat challenges.
Most recently, the Cosmic Flight, Orbital, and Ship Catalogue Posters have become available.
The next set of items to be synthesised, starting today, is this exciting set of freighter exhaust customisations: the Antimatter, Golden, and Hadal Freighter Trails.
Exchange Quicksilver for exotic collectables aboard the Space Anomaly. Complete multiplayer the missions at The Nexus to contribute towards unlocking collectables, and earn Quicksilver from the specially-marked daily or weekend missions.
Patch 3.97, which contains a number of gameplay and stability fixes, is being released today and will be coming to all platforms as soon as possible. The team are currently taking some time to address issues reported by the community, but we have so much more packed in for 2022! The release of No Man’s Sky on Nintendo Switch, PSVR2, and MacOS are all just around the corner, and we have already started on new content and surprises for later in the year.
Thank you, travellers, for staying on this journey with us.
3.97 Patch Notes
- Fixed a number of memory-related crashes, particularly on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.
- Fixed a crash related to base building.
- Fixed a crash related to freighter loading.
- Fixed a PSVR-exclusive crash.
- Fixed a crash related to the Fleet Command room.
- Fixed a crash related to ByteBeat.
- Fixed an issue that prevented teleporters from working correctly on derelict freighters.
- Fixed an issue that prevented players from claiming earned frigates from the list of past expedition rewards.
- Fixed an issue that prevented people from acquiring a living frigate if they changed their system clock.
- Fixed a number of mission and dialog issues that could prevent mission progress.
- Fixed an issue that caused ByteBeat music to play over the top of the intended settlement bar music.
- Fixed an issue that could prevent newly-purchased frigates from joining up with the fleet.
- Introduced a number of rendering optimisations for freighter bases.
- Fixed an issue that could prevent building within very tall freighter bases.
- Fixed an issue that allowed bases from blocked players to still be synced in some circumstances.
- Fixed an issue that caused too many wires to be removed when deleting a connected base part (such as a switch).
- Fixed an issue that left ladders behind when deleting their attached room on a freighter.
- Fixed an issue that caused multiplayer freighter bases to be missing on PlayStation 4.
- Fixed an issue that caused some posters to use the wrong texture.
- Players now always know the freighter bulkhead door, to prevent them from being trapped if they delete all exits to a room.
- Supporting scaffolds have been added to the underside of some elevated freighter base parts.
- Fixed a number of cases where base parts (and planters) were not being powered correctly in some freighter base configurations.
- Players may now harvest carbon from the plants growing on the walls of their agricultural freighter rooms.
- Fixed a number of visual glitches in freighter room parts.
- Fixed an issue that made it impossible to place objects on some shelves.
- Players can now place specific variants (straight/T-Junction/X-Junction) of freighter glass corridors.
- Fixed an issue that made the Galactic Trade Terminal UI appear in the wrong position while in VR and using the freighter trade room.
- Fixed an issue that prevented freighter doors and windows from being automatically deleted if the room they are attached to is deleted.
- The UI now displays additional feedback after feeding a living frigate and evolving new traits.
- Fixed a rare visual glitch caused by the Exosuit backpack being incorrectly scaled.
- The visual effects for harvest plants within freighter bio rooms have been improved.
- The Wormhole Brain and the Neural Shielding now have the correct Quick Menu icons.
- Fixed an issue that made Flight Assist Override less effective than intended during space combat.
- Fixed an issue that prevented the Wormhole Brain from being used to detect trade outposts.
- Infestation Nexus missions now correctly lead players to the target planet.
- Fixed a rare blocking issue that could prevent portals from working correctly when triggered on the Artemis path while very close to the centre of the galaxy.
- Fixed an issue that awarded players the resources gathered by NPC asteroid miners.
- Fixed an issue that prevented players from skipping cinematic black bars while in an Exocraft.
- Fixed an issue that could prevent fleet expeditions from displaying living frigate related story content.
- Fixed an issue that prevented the correct effects from playing as the starship exits warp.
- Fixed a visual issue that caused space colouring to leak into the freighter warp tunnel.
- Fixed an issue that could allow some Leviathan-exclusive missions to persist indefinitely after the end of the expedition.
- Fixed an issue that could prevent ship previews from appearing correctly in the Quick Menu.
- Fixed an issue that could cause incorrect icons to appear in the top-left notification after unlocking a new section of the guide.
- Fixed an issue that allowed players to interact with their ship while it was being salvaged for scrap.
- Fixed an issue that caused the freighter to appear in the warp tunnel while playing in VR.