Development Update – 1.58
No Man’s Sky NEXT launched just a few weeks ago. We have been absolutely overwhelmed by the positive response. We are excited to be on this journey with you.
We’ve been listening intently, and hard at work on fixes and improvements. We wanted to share a little news from behind the scenes.
Last month we launched a new website dedicated to the community, which we called the Galactic Atlas. The site features points of interest in the No Man’s Sky Euclid Galaxy, all nominated by you through the survey we created earlier last month.
This has grown in functionality and expanded based on your feedback.
We have now added:
- New regional hubs submitted by NEXT explorers, including official community links for those who would like to join, as well as Euclid portal addresses for explorers who would simply like to visit.
- Discovery progress for all regional hubs, revealing how many bases have been claimed in each region, as well as how much space is yet to be discovered. All explorers from community-led factions can contribute to their region’s progress by uploading their system and planet discoveries.
- The names of the current leading explorers for each regional hub.
- An indication of where the first community research mission is taking place within the galaxy.
- The final batch of Atlas Rises POIs, completing this archive of memories.
Hello Games has planned its first season of free weekly content and community events.
Specialist Polo and Priest Entity Nada, blinking around the edge of reality in their anomalous spacecraft, are broadcasting a request for assistance. Polo’s advanced boundary monitoring equipment has located a previously undetected iteration of the universe and they urgently need explorers to examine and explore this glitch in reality.
Beginning on Thursday 30th August, they will reach out to all explorers who have completed the first Space Anomaly mission. They need all the volunteers they can gather to help explore and document the reborn galaxies.
The first chapter of Polo’s research project examines a specific corner of the galaxy, where strange objects have begun spawning underground. Dedicated explorers who excavate and return them to the Space Anomaly will be rewarded with Quicksilver. Polo has constructed a new robotic companion to process this valuable substance into exclusive exotic collectables.
The initial range of items offered by Polo’s Quicksilver Synthesis Companion Bot are 6 new base building parts, 3 decals, a new emote, and a new character customisation. Over the coming weeks this will expand to 50+ items, including further base parts, emotes, customisations, exocraft, and more.
The ways to earn Quicksilver will also expand, and community events will grow in functionality.
No Man’s Sky has always been a game that is built on the community and the stories that you generate. Your screenshots are exactly the fuel we need for development. Keep them coming.
Too many incredible screenshots to possibly show, but here are some of the team’s favourites:
As well as screenshots, we’ve also been impressed by some amazing fan art, both digital and traditional – including some beautiful paper journals recording player experiences and discoveries.
We loved this brilliant tribute to 2001: A Space Odyssey from u/rrrbin. We’ve also loved this secret underground base from u/JacksonWallop, this water base from u/PiffTheSkull, and this orbital base from u/Choopsha
Players have also been busy constructing physical things outside the game. We were blown away by these Lego recreations from u/D4PP3RD0LPH1N.
We were heartened by all the tales of people exchanging gifts with interlopers in random multiplayer. u/Long_Nose_Jim, for example, who played Father Christmas and delivered Stasis Devices to lucky Travellers all across the universe. We also loved these stories from @WritNelson and @BMCarbaugh.
1.58 is a large new patch now live on PC, PS4 and Xbox One. You can find the long list of fixes and improvements below. Over the weeks since launch there have been near daily releases between experimental PC and all three platforms. Development has been intense, and very productive.
As the current hotfixes are tackling critical issues, I’m so happy to see the team more free to focus on gameplay and quality improvements / fixes, as well as more rare issues.
Right now the team is split between high priority bugs, as well as longer term, larger gameplay improvements. More on this coming soon.
Thank you so much,
- Added user permissions for multiplayer, on a per-save slot basis. Settings for visibility, damage + base editing can be customised to apply to all players, friends only, or no-one.
- Improved the terrain edit saving system, reducing the chance of terrain regenerating. Further improvements to this system are in progress.
- Improved the visuals of player starship trails.
- Added archaeology missions to the available pool of missions from planetary NPCs.
- Fixed an issue that could prevent players with very large save games from saving.
- Fixed a number of issues that prevented save games from loading.
- Fixed an issue that incorrectly synced information in multiplayer.
- Fixed a number of issues that could cause mission markers to be attached to the wrong destination.
- Fixed a number of issues around the refiner and general inventory systems. Improved the pick and drop system of inventory management.
- Fixed an issue that caused visual glitches in clouds at higher resolutions.
- Fixed occasional crash in geometry streaming when exiting planet atmosphere.
- Fixed issue where cloud shadows would interfere with reflection rendering.
- Improved consistency between tessellated and non-tessellated terrains.
- Improved performance when leaving planets.
- Various memory savings, improving overall stability.
- Various performance optimisations.
- Fixed an issue that could prevent players from going through black holes.
- Fixed an issue where players were able to warp and get stuck on the other side of a portal.
- Fixed an issue where players were able to enter their freighter base when it was not loaded in memory.
- Fixed an issue where players could start their game in inappropriate systems when starting in multiplayer.
- Fixed an issue that could cause vast numbers of Sentinel Drones to spawn.
- Fixed an issue that prevented players with pre-NEXT saves from fully upgrading their Exosuit.
- Fixed an issue where freighter crew would change race on warp.
- Fixed an issue where player ships could spawn on the same landing pad in multiplayer.
- Fixed a number of cases where freighter battles were not correctly synced in multiplayer.
- Fixed an issue where players were not able to land on other player’s freighters.
- Fixed a number of issues affecting the interaction with captains of freighters not owned by the player.
- Fixed an issue that caused expedition length, difficulty and rewards to scale incorrectly relative to the power of the player’s fleet.
- Fixed an issue that caused players to exit their ships / exocraft while tagging a marker.
- Fixed an issue where ships landed on freighters to be labelled ON PLANET.
- Fixed an issue that caused player ships to have incorrect information when viewed through the Analysis Visor.
- Fixed an issue that could cause Sentinels to appear as undiscovered creatures when viewed through the Analysis Visor.
- Fixed the axes used to calculate planet coordinates shown on the Analysis Visor.
- Prevented players with freighters from warping other players in multiplayer to systems they would get stuck in.
- Fixed an issue where the freighter dock lights were not correctly lit/unlit when a save was loaded on a freighter.
- Various text fixes.
- Fixed an issue that prevented planets from being added to the Discovery timeline when exiting certain ship models
- Fixed an issue that prevented players from using the Pulse Engine to escape between waves of Sentinel space fighters
- Fixed an issue that could cause base NPC workers to become unresponsive after moving / deleting your base
- Substantially increased the length of time fuel lasts in the hydroponic trays
- Prevented an occasional crash on Xbox One X in scenes with a high node count
- Fixed a crash related to creatures
- Fixed a crash related to terrain generation
- Fix for an issue with PC shader compilation when the game is first booted which would occasionally result in a crash
- Various performance improvements
- Various improvements to load times (approximately 5-10% improvement to warp times, 30% improvement to initial game load)
- Fixed an issue that incorrectly limited the number of storage containers that could be built on the freighter
- Fixed an issue that could prevent construction in the freighter base
- Fixed an issue that could cause the ‘Nearby buildings’ scan on the signal booster to fail
- Fixed an issue that prevented exploration-focussed frigates from charging their scanners
- Fixed an issue that prevented damaged frigates from being completely repaired
- Fixed an issue that could cause the lobby not to display all available games on PS4
- Marked icons are now automatically cleared on arrival at the marked target
- Fixed a number of cases where the HUD would prompt to mark icons that did not need marking
- Improved target locking for ship PvP
- Improved the appearance of HUD markers on player ships
- Fixed a number of visual issues around using the Analyser Visor in very specific circumstances
- Improved the mapping of the Steam Controller
- Removed an obsolete building product from the blueprint analyser
- Combat music now triggers when fighting biological horrors
- Slightly increased the damage dealt by biological horrors
- Fixed an issue that could cause expedition rewards to artificially increase after save/loading
- Fixed an issue where the Personal Forcefield could be deployed on 0% charge
- Fixed an issue where the Mining Beam and other weapon effects displayed the wrong colour in multiplayer
- Fixed an issue where the screen on the Multi-Tool would display the wrong ammo count for the Blaze Javelin
- Fixed an issue where the Multi-Tool was invisible in Photo Mode
- Fixed an issue where the Personal Forcefield would remain in-world forever when cycling Alt Weapon modes
- Fixed an issue where meleeing while sprinting could cause an animation glitch
- Improved the appearance of clouds in 4K/1440p modes
- Visual improvements made to some exotic biomes
- Visual improvements made to the space station technology merchants
- Increased the visibility of underground toxic hazards
- Visual improvements to buried technology modules
- Fixed a memory leak in the UI
- Fixed a number of crashes to do with freighters
- Fixed a crash that affected particular planets
- Fixed a crash that could occur while creating a race track in a borrowed Exocraft
- Reduced texture memory usage to improve overall stability
- Fixed an issue where players would get stuck in The Purge mission
- Fixed an issue where players would get stuck in the Ghost in the Machine mission
- Fixed an issue where players would receive incorrect mission instructions while returning with the Mind-Arc
- Fixed an issue where Sentinels would chase players forever if they did not complete the final Weapon Specialist mission
- Fixed an issue that was causing dialogue and rewards at certain found buildings to repeat (including Traveller graves and portal glyphs)
- Fixed an issue that caused players upgrading their save to not have any primary missions if they were on the tutorial for expanding their inventory when they upgraded to NEXT
- Fixed an issue that prevented pre-NEXT saves from accessing the Base Computer Archive missions
- Fixed an issue where some non-existent base parts were showing in the Guide
- Fixed an issue where legacy saves would not know the recipe for microchips, the large refiner and some advanced survival products
- Fixed an issue where trade commodities were not available for sale in the space station
- Fixed an issue where player ships could shoot themselves in multiplayer
- Fixed an issue where some base parts were not available in the blueprint analyser
- Fixed an issue where players would get stuck if they died before using the Navigation Data in the tutorial
- Fixed an issue where the labels of hot / cold thermal protection upgrades were the wrong way around
- Fixed an issue where the Efficient Launch Thruster upgrade was not learnable in space stations
- Fixed an issue where terrain edits caused by building parts would regenerate in multiplayer
- Fixed an issue where Base Computers placed inside other bases could not be deleted
- Fixed some instances of an issue where ships would all spawn on the same landing pad
- Fixed a number of incorrect refiner recipes
- Expanded the available refiner recipes
- Removed the chance to get nanites from Buried Technology Modules
- Reduced the frequency of storms in some situations
- Slightly increased the cost of launch fuel, but made one canister entirely refill the thrusters
- In normal mode, slightly reduced the base rates of hazard and life support fuel usage
- Slightly reduced the radius at which Sentinel drones will investigate players
- Reduced the time required to scan discoveries with the Analysis Visor
- Increased the recharge rate of the jetpack when onboard a Space Station
- Since the release of No Man’s Sky NEXT, farm plants have grown in real-world time (rather than game time), allowing farms to continue growing while you are away from the game. As a consequence, adjusted farming times + prices.
- Placed the Space Anomaly marker on the entrance to the Anomaly rather than the centre of the model
- Fixed an issue where mission markers would not attach to the correct base
- Reduced the number of whispering eggs around Abandoned Buildings
- Fixed an issue with rain audio
- Added audio to the target tagging UI
- Fixed a bug in the auto-aim system concerning large creatures
- Reduced the critical hit zone for biological horrors
- Fixed an issue in creature replication that could cause creatures to freeze
- Fixed an issue where mordite would not be awarded to the correct player when killing creatures in multiplayer
- Fixed an issue that could cause the third person camera to turn sluggishly
- Fixed an issue where players respawning in Survival mode would have no life support and rapidly die again
- Fixed an issue where some of Nada + Polo’s missions had untranslated text
- Fixed an issue where some of the procedural missions given by NPCs had untranslated text
- Fixed an issue where some exotic biomes incorrectly reported their weather as fine or calm
- Fixed an issue where chairs did not display their text correctly
- Fixed an issue where the launch fuel tutorial did not trigger correctly
- Fixed a number of incorrect timings of mission update messages
- Fixed an issue where activating the torch did not close the quick menu
- Fixed an issue where Infra-Knife accelerator projectiles would originate from behind the player’s ship.
- Fixed an issue where the freighter would not be visible to other players in multiplayer
- Fixed a number of issues where expeditions would reward the wrong player in multiplayer
- Fixed an issue where fleet frigates would return to the wrong location on completion of an expedition.
- Fixed an issue where changing between first and third person camera while on a ladder would break player animations.
- Fixed an issue where players would lose access to the main menu after reloading a save just after upgrading to NEXT
- On PC, pressing P will default to opening the Log rather than Options. Options continues to be the default option for Esc.
- Fixed an issue where Korvax eye textures would become misaligned.
- Fixed an issue where falling animations would not play
- Fixed an issue where the player would play the sliding animation while swimming
- Fixed an issue that would stop players from firing or reloading their Multi-Tool in specific situations
- Fixed an issue where Multi-Tool lasers would bend in the wrong direction.
- Fixed an issue where the Multi-Tool glitched while going into the Analysis Visor
- Fixed a number of issues for players in specific timezones
- Fix for crash while reloading mission markers from save
- Fix for issue where invalid characters could be inserted into a save, causing it to fail to load
- Switched to using lockless small block allocator for physics to reduce memory footprint
- Fix for occasional crash when looking up data about substances in UI pages
- Fixed an issue with freighter expeditions where, under very specific circumstances, a certain pattern of loading and reloading within a limited timeframe could cause saves not to be loaded
- Fix for an occasional white screen crash during loading
- Fix for frigates not reporting their damaged state correctly
- Fix for an issue that could block players in the “fuel the warp drive” stage of the tutorial
- Fix for repairing broken ship slots in Creative Mode
- Improvements to exocraft laser damage
- Improvements for animations while turning, jetpacking, and standing on objects
- Memory optimisations to improve stability
- Preventative fix for potential stability issue with mission handling
- Fixed a case where invalid characters could cause saves to fail to load
- Fixed the Base Restoration mission failing to find a proper site for your legacy base
- Fixed an issue where players would not know the Living Glass recipe after upgrading their save
- Fixed an issue where players would not know the Blueprint Analyser after upgrading their save
- Fixed an issue where players would not know the Frigate Fuel blueprint if they undertook the fleet tutorial in multiplayer
- Fixed a number of issues with Galactic Commission missions that involved freighters
- Fixed an issue where players would not see their ships docked aboard a freighter when loading
- Fixed an issue where players would see multiple ships docked on the same landing pad when loading
- Fixed an issue where the freighter bridge would unload after accepting a mission from the Galactic Commission Terminal
- Fixed an issue where players would be jettisoned into space after warping aboard another player’s freighter
- Fixed a number of text bugs
- Fixed a number of incorrect prices
- Improvements for text translations, especially Japanese
- Fixed an issue that will restore more savegames for players who saved with partially repaired tech.
- Fixed an issue where players who had partially repaired a piece of broken technology would have an incorrect item in the repair interaction
- Fixed an issue where players in underwater bases played the wrong animations
- Fixed an issue where freighters incorrectly reported they did not have enough fuel to warp
- Fixed a crash in the base-building system
- Improved garbage collection and reduced memory footprint of physics
- Prevented occasional crash in animation
- Reduce memory footprint of planetary textures from space
- PS4 only: Resolved some stability issues seen in some specific timezones
- Fixed an issue where players who saved after partially repairing some items of technology would be unable to load that savegame. Please note that if the game has not been resaved, then progress has not been lost and will be recovered.
- Fixed a crash caused by memory corruption
- Fixed a crash in the animation system
- Fixed a crash when saving on a freighter
- Fixed a crash when fleet expeditions end without their capital ship present
- Fixed a number of memory leaks
- Fixed an issue where warping in multiplayer could cause players to spawn on a planet rather than in space
- Fixed an issue where freighter bases would be in the wrong position
- Fixed an issue where the build menu could crash if there was nothing available to build
- Fixed an issue where players would be unable to warp during the antimatter stage of the tutorial
- Fixed an issue where the mission destination would be incorrectly reported as in another system at the Hermetic Seal phase of the tutorial
- Fixed an issue where upgrade modules installed in the main Exosuit inventory would not be saved correctly.
- Fixed an issue where portable refiners placed near each other would share inventories
- Fixed an issue where the cockpit of some ships would continually open and close
- Fixed an issue where new controls were missing from the controls page
- Fixed a crash in creature routines
- Fixed a crash when multiple players put ammunition into a refiner
- Fix for occasional crash when receiving mission rewards
- Fix for crash when adjusting anisotropic filtering settings in the graphics options menu
- Fix for potential crash in geometry streaming
- Improvements to texture caching for AMD GPUs
- Fixed an issue where some players still had physical nanites in their inventory that could not be spent at vendors
- Granted players nanites when they dismantle their Obsolete Technology – spend nanites on new upgrades in Space Stations
- Added a tutorial mission to guide players through the restoration of their old base
- Fixed an issue where players were unable to build Frigate Terminals in Creative Mode
- Fixed an issue where S-Class ships changed appearance
- Fixed an issue where players were unable to build the Base Cache on their freighter to retrieve compensation for the loss of their freighter base
- Fixed an issue where some Exosuit technology was not converted to Obsolete Technology. Please note this does not apply retroactively to save games that have already been upgraded.
- Improved the mapping of old substances to new substances during the save upgrade. Please note this does not apply retroactively to save games that have already been upgraded.